U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will begin collecting import fees on pecans and Christmas trees on Nov. 5 after the issue that had been preventing the fee updates in ACE CERT has been resolved.
The impacted tariffs are as follows:
- 0802991000 – In-shell pecans ($0.2 per pound)
- 0802991500 – shelled pecans ($0.4 per pound)
Handlers will collect assessments from producers based on pounds of pecans received and importers will pay assessments on pecans when they enter the United States.
Importers who import less than 50,000 pounds of inshell pecans, 25,000 pounds of shelled pecans, or a combination of the two, on average for four fiscal periods will be exempt from paying assessments and can apply for the exemption through the American Pecan Promotion Board.
- 0604200020 – fresh evergreen Christmas trees, Douglas fir
- 0604200040 – fresh evergreen Christmas trees, fir (all except Douglas fir)
- 0604200060 – fresh evergreen Christmas trees, other
The fee for Christmas trees is $0.15 per tree regardless of the variety.
Importers who import less than 500 trees in a fiscal period can claim an exemption from paying the fee by filing an application for a certificate of exemption from the Real Christmas Tree Board.
To stay informed on trade news and other important updates, stay connected with a customs broker.