The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued significant new rules (SNURs) that will affect the importing of 24 different chemical substances.
Effective Nov. 28, 2022, persons who intend to import, process, or manufacture any of these chemical substances for an activity that is designated as a significant new use by this rule are required to notify EPA at least 90 days before commencing that activity.
Persons may not commence manufacture or processing for the significant new use until EPA has conducted a review of the notice, made an appropriate determination on the notice, and has taken such actions as are required by that determination.
Chemical importers must certify that the shipment of these chemical substances complies with all applicable rules and Orders under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), which would include the SNUR requirements. The EPA policy in support of import certification appears at 40 CFR part 707, subpart B.
The definition of what a “significant new use” is when it comes to importing varies by substance, but the Rule includes:
- importing the substance such that the maximum weight percentage of the confidential impurity exceeds the confidential percentage specified in the Order.
- importing a substance other than as confidentially described in the PMN and allowed by the Order.
- importing the substance other than in solution, unless in sealed containers weighing 5 kilograms or less.
- import the substance other than in solution, unless in sealed containers weighing 5 kilograms or less
- 1-Butanesulfonamide, 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,4-nonafluoro-.
- 1-Butanesulfonamide, 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,4-nonafluoro-N,N-bis(2-hydroxyethyl)-.
- 1,3-Propanediamine, N1,N1-dimethyl-N3-(2,2,6,6-tetramethyl-4-piperidinyl)-.
- 2-Propenoic acid, polymer with aliphatic cyclic epoxide (generic).
- 1-Butanone, 2-(dimethylamino)-1-[4-(2-ethyl-2-methyl-3-oxazolidinyl)phenyl]-2-(phenylmethyl)-.
- Acrylic acid, tricyclo alkyl ester (generic).
- Poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyl), .alpha.-hydro-.omega.-hydroxy-, mono-C12-14-alkyl ethers, phosphates, sodium salts.
- N-alkyl heteromonocyclic diphenolamide (generic).
- Reaction products of alkyl-terminated alkylalumuminoxanes and [[(pentaalkylphenyl-(pentaalkylphenyl)amino)alkyl] alkanediaminato]bis(aralkyl) transition metal coordination compound (generic).
- Multi-walled carbon nanotubes (generic).
- Carbomonocyclic sulfonium, salt with trihalo-sulfoalkyl hydroxycarbopolycyclic carboxylate (generic).
- Heterocyclic onium compound with 1-substituted-alkyl 2,2,2-trisubstitutedalkyl 2-methyl-2-propenoate (1:1) polymer with acenaphthylene, 4-ethenyl-a,a-dimethylbenzenemethanol and 4-ethenylphenyl acetate, hydrolyzed (generic).
- Sulfonium, triphenyl-, 1,2-substituted-alkyltricycloalkyl-1-carboxylate (1:1) (generic).
- N-substituted-beta-alanine, heterosubstituted-alkyl ester, ion(1-), triphenyl sulfonium (1:1) (generic).
- Sulfonium, [4-(1,1-dimethylethyl)phenyl]diphenyl-, salt with heterosubstituted-alkyl tricycloalkane-carboxylate (1:1) (generic).
- Dibenzothiophenium, 5-phenyl-, salt with 2,2-diheterosubstituted-2-sulfoethyl substituted-heterotricycloalkane-carboxylate (1:1) (generic).
- Substituted heterocyclic onium compound, salt with heteropolysubstitutedalkyl substitutedtricycloalkanecarboxylate (1:1), polymer with disubstituted aromatic compound and 1-methylcyclopentyl 2-methyl-2-propenoate, di-Me 2,2′-(1,2-diazenediyl)bis[2-methylpropenoate]-initiated (generic).
- Substituted-2H-thiopyrylium, salt with heterosubstituted-alkyl tricycloalkane-carboxylate (1:1) (generic).
- Sulfonium, triphenyl-, salt with 2,2-dihalo-2-sulfoethyl-2-oxo substituted-heterotricycloalkane-heteropolycyclo-carboxylate (1:1) (generic).
- Sulfonium, triphenyl-, salt with 5-alkyl-2-alkyl-4-(2,4,6-substituted tri-carbomonocycle, hetero-acid) benzenesulfonate (1:1) (generic).
- Phenoxanthiinium, 10-phenyl, 5-alkyl-2-alkyl-4-(2,4,6-substituted tri-carbomonocycle, hetero-acid) benzenesulfonate (1:1) (generic).
- Substituted, triaryl-, tricycloalkane alkyl disubstituted (generic) (P-20-156).
- Substituted, triaryl-, tricycloalkane alkyl disubstituted (generic) (P-20-162).
- Naphthalene derivative (generic).
To stay informed on new import rules other important updates, stay connected with a customs broker.